Sunday, July 20, 2008

'Never without my permission'

I know there are some that, given that I'm into BDSM and particularly Gor, would look at me rather oddly when I say how important consent is. Just because I like to give up control, doesn't mean I'll do it for just anyone, or that anyone can take it from me.

So I am particularly disturbed when I hear about cases of non-consensual slavery and BDSM. Its not a game that you can play with just anyone, or drag people into without thought or against their will, because the consequences can be grave.

A few nights ago there was a documentary on about such a case, a woman in the states being kept for years, with her captor taking cues and inspiration from several sources I'm familiar with. I felt compelled to watch because, hey, my chosen lifestyle inspired this wacko, and I can't help but wonder what would have happened if there had been no scene to draw inspiration from. Luckily someone else in the house just turned it off.

You can't even say that there is a fine line with such play. You either want it, or you don't, and I've had enough experience of the latter to be able to say that with certainty. I just find it so sad that there's far too much abuse in the name of play happening, and wish strength to those who need to escape.

Bonus points to whoever knows where the title quote comes from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would seem to me it wold take a huge amount of trust to allow that, as well as a safety.
Some sentence or gesture that means to stop or ease up or whatever.