Friday, September 19, 2008

Can't Stop the Rhythm

... And of course, now that I have written that title I have 'Can't stop the Moonlight' playing in my head.

Last week I received a 2 CD set of belly dance music I had ordered online. Belly dancing is something I have been interested in for a very long time, but I've always been too shy/demotivated/poor to really get into it. I have a coin belt, and I attended a few classes with a friend, but beyond that I haven't done much with it.

This purchase was hopefully the first step in remedying that. Eventually I'll get some tutorial dvds, and with practice I hope to not be so shy about dancing in front of people. Because damn, I so want to.

Last friday being the last day of my holidays, I ripped the package open as soon as I had the house to myself and popped it on. I was uncertain about it at first, some of the songs have an odd structure to them, and can be quite repetitive with the instruments used, but regardless it wasn't long before I was squirming in my seat, moving in time to the music, just picturing what I could do with it.

I saw a large room with the floor cleared, encircled by chairs filled by Masters, a few with their own slaves at foot. I'd be dressed in billowing chiffon, just see-through enough to really tease as I turned, adorned with fine gold chains and the ringing coins and bells, every move creating its own music as I danced for these men, writhing passionately beneath their hungry gaze, to drive them crazy enough to reach for me, even before the music had stopped. With the fantasy as motivation and unable to keep still with the music playing, I dug out my coin belt.

There were no fantasies as I danced though, just pure practice, what I could remember of the very basic drills, but after a minute of undulations I was exhausted. It made clear to me just how very, very far I have to go before my vision has a hope of coming true. This isn't really helped by the fact that I only feel secure enough to practice when I'm alone with no chance of interruption, and that is not going to happen consistently for a long time.

But here's to hoping, and dreaming.

No comments: